Dean, School of Technology
+254 (0) 721 324 236
- PhD in Computer Science,
- Msc Information Systems (Artificial Intelligence),
- BA(Econ, Maths, Socio)
Membership of Professional Bodies/Associations
- ACM (Association for Computing Machinery)
Dr. Simon Nyaga Mwendia is a lecturer in the College of Technology. He has served in the college since 2008 where he has held several positions. He was faculty research coordinator from 2010 to 2012 and has been the Head of Software and information systems department since 2018. In his role as HOD, Dr. Mwendia guides postgraduate student’s research projects and assist the Dean in formulating and reviewing academic programs, among other tasks.
He has a Masters in Information Systems (Artificial Intelligence) and a PhD in Computer Science from University of Nairobi. He received an in-country DAAD scholarship that enabled him to study in Germany as part of doctoral studies. His areas of interest include mobile applications development and ambient intelligence technologies for learning support. Dr. Mwendia is a published scholar; his publications include six conference papers published by IEEE Xplore and ACM Digital Libraries, two book chapters published by IG Global publishers and one peer reviewed journal paper. He is also project coordinator of Kenya-Norway mobility program with Stavanger University in Norway (KeNoMo,http://kenomosite.com/). The project aims to improve the quality and internationalization of computer science education at partner institutions including KCA University Linking Industry with Academia (LIWA) in Kenya and University of Stavanger in Norway
- Ambient learning in Higher learning institutions,
- Applications of Data Science and Mobile applications in Education,
- Computer Science,
- Artificial Intelligence,
- mobile applications development
Current Research Project(s)
Francis SOMBA, Ezekiel KURIA, Simon Nyaga MWENDIA (2021).Face Recognition and Mobile Location Data for class Attendance Monitoring
- Cognitive Computing,
- Machine learning,
- Artificial intelligence,
- Data Mining & Warehousing,
- Data Analytics & Knowledge Engineering,
Selected Publications( Books, Refereed publications & Non Refereed publications )
- Mwabela N.K & Mwendia.S.N(2019), Digitization Impact Assessment Model for Secondary Schools: Case of Nairobi County in Kenya. Advances in Science, Technology and Engineering Systems Journal Vol. 2, No. 1. Page No 194-197, DOI: 10.25046/aj040326 Web link: https://astesj.com/v04/i03/p26/#1477473002986-f8da9163-4402
- Omwenga E.I, Waiganjo P.W, Kimondo H.J, Gakuu C.M, Oboko R.O, Mwendia. S.N., Libotton A.,& Eisendrath,. G.(2018).Who We Are Quality Assessment for Distance Education and e-Learning (DEeL) Programs POLICY BRIEF. University of Nairobi
Supervised Masters Theses
- Karanja, R. G. & Mwendia.S.N. (2017). A Framework for Knowledge as a Service in the support of Ambient learning (Masters Dissertation).Available in KCA University Library, Nairobi,Kenya.
- Onyuna, J.O. & Mwendia.S.N. (2017). Data mining using FRAT-RFM Approach for Customer Segmentation and Profiling (Masters thesis).KCA University, Nairobi,Kenya
- Kagucia B.M. & Mwendia.S.N. (2017). Datamining Approach for Predictive Modelling of crop Yield Data (Masters Dissertation).Available in KCA University Library, Nairobi,Kenya.
- Mwabela,N.K & Mwendia.S.N. (2017) A Model for Measuring Impact of Digitization in Schools (Masters Dissertation).Available in KCA University Library, Nairobi,Kenya.
- Gachau P.M & Mwendia.S.N.(2017) Iproved Energy Efficient Protocol(IIEEP) for Wireless Sensor Networks (Masters Dissertation).Available in KCA University Library, Nairobi,Kenya.
- Mwangi.S.K,. Mwendia.S.N., & Kanyi.P.(2015). Application of GSM in Enhancing Water Billing Accuracy (A Case of Thika Water and Sewerage Company (Masters dissertation). Available in KCA University Library, Nairobi,Kenya.
Conferences & Chapters
- Mburu, L.W., Karanja, R. and Nyaga, M.N. (2020) A Knowledge-as-a-Service Support Framework for Ambient Learning in Kenya. Proceedings of the 13th IADIS International Conference Information Systems, 1-4 April 2020, Sofia, Bulgaria. http://www.iadisportal.org/digital-library/a-knowledge-as-a-service-support-framework-for-ambient-learning-in-kenya
- Mwendia(2018), Evaluation Model for Improving Ambient Learning Systems Towards Achieving Sustainable Development Goal Four, Paper presented at the 5th International Conference on soft Cmputing and Machine Intelligence (ISCMI2018),Nairobi, Kenya: IEEE URL: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8703251
- Karanja, R., & Mwendia,.S.N.(2018), Ambient learning – Knowledge as a Service Model: Towards the Achievement of Sustainable Development Goal four, paper to be presented at the IST-Africa 2018 Conference Proceedings, Gaborone, Botswana: IEEE URL: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8417360
- Mwendia, S., Oboko, R., Waiganjo, P., 2016. Dynamic Heuristics – Greedy Search: A Mobile Information Retrieval Algorithm for Ambient Learning Systems,Nairobi, Kenya: ACM URL: dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2998586&dl=ACM&coll=DL
- Mwendia, S.N., Manske,S.& Hoppe,U.(2014),Supporting E-Learning in Computer-poor Environments by Combining OER, Cloud Services and Mobile Learning. Paper presented at the 22nd ICCE2014 Conference, Nara, Japan. (545-550), ICCE 2014 Organizing Committee, Japan ISBN 978-4-9908014-1-0 URL:http://icce2014.jaist.ac.jp/icce2014/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ICCE2014-Main- Proceedings-lite-1.pdf.
- Mwendia.S.N, Buchem I.,2014,’Open mobile ambient learning: The next generation of mobile learning for mobile-rich but computer-poor contexts, Paper presented at UNESCO Mobile Learning Week 2014,Paris-France: UNESCO URL: http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/ED/pdf/R9WAMB2-SimonNyaga-KCAUniversity.pdf. http://www.unesco.org/new/en/unesco/themes/icts/m4ed/unesco-mobile-learning-week-2014/symposium/breakout-sessions/open-mobile-ambient-learning/
- Mwendia, S., Waiganjo, P., Oboko, R., 2013. 3-Category Pedagogical Framework for Context Based Ambient Learning. Paper presented in: IST-Africa 2013 Conference Proceedings. Nairobi, Kenya. IEEE, ISBN:978-1-905824-38-0. Can be retrieved from: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6701749&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fstamp%2Fstamp.jsp%3Ftp%3D%26arnumber%3D6701749.
- Mwendia, S., Wagacha, P.W., Oboko, R., 2014. Ambient Learning Conceptual Framework for Bridging Digital Divide in Higher Education, in J. Keengwe(Ed.), Promoting Active Learning through the Integration of Mobile and Ubiquitous Technologies(243-273), Hershey, PA: IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-6343-5. can be retrived from: http://www.igi-global.com/chapter/ambient-learning-conceptual-framework-for-bridging-digital-divide-in-higher-education/115479
- Mwendia, S., Wagacha, P.W., Oboko, R., 2014. Culture Aware M-Learning Classification Framework for African Countries.In S..J. Keengwe, G Schnellert & K Kungu (eds): Cross-Cultural Online Learning in Higher Education and Corporate Training (98-111). IGI Global. Pennsylvania,USA. . DOI: 10.4018/978-1-4666-5023-7.ch005. Can be retrieved from: http://www.igi-global.com/chapter/culture-aware-m-learning-classification-framework-for-african-countries/92440
Norwegian Partnership Programme 2016-2021 for Global Academic Cooperation(NOPART). Project Web link: http://kenomosite.org KENET travel Grant – IST Africa 2018 – Conference DAAD PhD in-country scholarship grant (July 2012-Dec 2014) DAAD Short term research in Germany (Sep 2013-Feb 2014) HELB Doctoral studies Scholarship grant 2012/2013
- Mwendia,S.N.(2016). Ambient Learning Model for Research Project supervision Support: An application of Mobile phone – centric ambient intelligence Technologies in ‘mobile rich’ Universities(Doctoral Thesis). University of Nairobi. Web link: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/a1e7/a9601dc43f67ab9931b9023129e6e3d7b6f9.pdf
- Mwendia S.N(2008). Cased based reasoning system for marketing strategies support(Masters Thesis). University of Nairobi. Web link: http://erepository.uonbi.ac.ke/handle/11295/22077